Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Awesomeness"

I know "AWESOMENESS" isn't a word, but it describes perfectly how I feel today. Today was like playing Santa for my kiddos at school and it was so incredibly fun. My co-worker and I attended several conferences last year about the positive effects of providing movement in classrooms. Duh, you might be saying! Well we already are trained in Cooperative Learning which gets kids moving and we already have planned and spontaneaous brain breaks. Why do we do all this? Well you try spending from 8:15-3:40 in one room with no windows or doors and see how much you are bouncing off the walls at the end.

So, we were wanting to make a change, a BIG change. That left us with these wonderful little jewels:

We spent quite a bit of our free time writing this grant to replace our regular, hard chairs with fitness balls. We got input from our occupational therapist, principal, and a person on the grant selection committee. All of this for devestation, we didn't receive it. But I wasn't going to stop there. I began researching cheaper options and was prepared to go begging. So I gathered all my info and went to my principal to see which companies he thought I should begin begging at first. And what he told me was, "the price I found was right, and if I let him comb through our school budget for a few weeks, he might find a few extra dollars to purchase these for us." PAUSE - my principal is wonderfully amazing not just because of this but because of things he does for our students and staff each and every day. YEAH!! So, we spent last night airing up our fit balls for our kids and getting rid of most of our old chairs. The when I told them what they were getting, they were over the moon excited. I love that they are excited to have some fun in our classrooms and I hope that they help us get the active learning that we need!!

No comments:

Post a Comment