Last night Madelyn asked me to tell her a bedtime story. I pull from happy childhood memories for bedtime stories because I want her to know me as a child. So I began telling her about my cat Whiskers. I told her that some neighbors found a tiny kitten in the middle of the street, alone and scared. So they brought her home to my family. I left out the fact that our previous cat, whom I didn't like and the feeling was mutual, had just died so we were in the market for a new pet. But I told her how I came up with the name Whiskers, how we instantly bonded, and how she loved only me. When Madelyn asked where Whiskers was now I told her that she lived a long and happy life and she was old and had died so we buried her and she was in heaven now. This is what she said:
"You mean she's in the dirt, under the ground now?" (To this I said yes but we buried her in a nice box so she will be safe and clean.)
"Which house in heaven does she live in?" (This one had me stumped, so I said I wasn't sure but I'm know she is very happy there. Then Madelyn said, "Mommy, don't worry, we'll find her when we go to heaven too.)
Ahhh! Such a sweet girl with such a soft heart!
You have been posting the sweetest posts about Madelyn- how fun is she. Oh not to mention I love her fashion sense!
ReplyDelete